Rate This Ad allows a billboard designer to rate a random piece of billboard artwork using the following scale: 1 (not good), 2 (below average), 3 (average), 4 (very good), 5 (great). Then the designer talks about what they may have done differently for outdoor advertising. This week’s rating is provided by Greg Callaham www.gregcallaham.com) who has 30 years of experience in outdoor advertising design. Insider has used and endorses Callaham’s services.
Popes Haunted Farm
Rating: 4 (Very Good)
- This ad does a great job of getting attention. A scary clown with axes the worst Halloween nightmare for a good-sized chunk of the target audience for this haunted house ad.
- The headline is clever and timely.
- The image is riveting. And the business name is nicely contrasted against the background.
- The URL needs to be larger and changed to upper- and lowercase letters for improved legibility.
- The headline font is borderline on clarity. Something similar with less “dropout” in the fill would have been easier to read. However, this billboard is better than average overall. It gets a 4 (very good).